- Posted by Dr. Nekessa Remy
- On July 15, 2010
Mississauga Chiropractor, Dr. Nekessa Remy is the expert on back pain!!!
I recently read in an article that eight out of ten Canadians will experience back pain at one point in their lifetime. Up to 50% of this population will have more than one episode! Did you know that low back pain is second only to the common cold as a cause of lost days at work? It is also one of the most common reasons to visit a doctor’s office or a hospital’s emergency department.
It’s a serious health problem that often goes untreated. One of the reasons that I believe back pain is so common is that it can be cause by some many different things:
• Work-related injuries
• Sports injuries
• Car accidents
• Poor posture
• Improper lifting
Any of the above, can cause your spine to shift from its normal position or affect your range of motion. This puts pressure on the joints, muscles, and nerves in that area, and is what causes most back pain.
A healthy back is essential for a healthy body. Our chiropractic treatments can be a regular tune-up for the back, to help deal with the daily wear and tear of life. For others, it’s an effective treatment when back pain strikes. These are options that should be discussed with your chiropractor.
If your back pain recurs, here are some symptoms which might indicate that you suffer from a back problem, requiring care:
• Leg pain with numbness, tingling, and/or weakness
• Back or leg pain with coughing or sneezing
• Difficulty standing up after sitting for any period of time
• Stiffness in the morning that decreases when you move around
• Pain in your hip, buttock, thigh, knee or foot
• Inability to turn or bend to each side equally
• Pain which prevents you from sleeping well
• Pain that persists or worsens after 48 hours
In treating your back pain, my focus is to address the cause of the pain. This may include spinal adjustments, active rehabilitation, Active Release Technique ®, medical acupuncture, laser therapy and/or customized orthotics. Each individual is different, and I will recommend a course of therapy that is right for you.